NAGALAND POST — Interlocutor for Naga peace talks and Joint Intelligence Committee chairman, R.N. Ravi on Thursday said that the solution to the protracted Naga political issue is close-by. “We are close towards solution and bringing the framework agreement to a conclusion,” Ravi said.
In this regard, Ravi said he had come to Nagaland “to hold one more round of consultations” with the civil societies. He also called on Nagaland chief minister, Dr. Shürhozelie Liezietsu at the latter’s official residence.
Ravi, who is on a three-day visit to Nagaland, will be holding consultative meetings with various stakeholders on the Naga issue at Kohima and Dimapur.
In a brief interaction with media persons outside hotel de Oriental Grand, Kohima on Thursday evening, Ravi said he “had come to consult the civil societies, hear their views and suggestions and said he will take back the suggestions”.
**He refused to comment on the time frame for the final solution.**
When asked a question that India would ask Myanmar government to snap the cease-fire agreement with the NSCN (K) ?
Ravi rubbished the statement and termed it as “nonsense.” On Thursday, Ravi met at least six civil societies at the hotel.
When contacted, NSF president Chirstopher Ltu informed Nagaland Post that the NSF members met RN Ravi and reiterated its earlier stand for “a logical solution, in line with the appeal for an honourable and acceptable solution at the earliest.”
The repeated request by media persons for a formal interaction with the Interlocutor was turned down. When contacted, Home department officials said Ravi refused to include “interaction with media” in the list.
Meanwhile, a source closely associated with the affairs of the state told Times of India that– “The problem of Nagaland is not of just one faction but of all the people.
“Ravi’s coming to Nagaland signifies that Centre is in hurry to resolve the Naga issue. People of Nagaland are fed up with violence and everyone wants an end to it and a solution for Nagas of Nagaland,” the source said.
TOI reported that the two decades old peace process between the Centre and NSCN (I-M) for the elusive Naga settlement stands at the threshold of a new beginning as Nagas of Nagaland await the Centre’s approval to involve all stakeholders in the state, including NSCN(K), in the process instead of trying to sign the peace agreement with just one of party.
WAPO backs inclusive solution
Western Angami Public Organisation (WAPO) has maintained that Nagas are proud of their struggle, as it was not an act of secession that “unlawfully or treasonously violated some agreement or understanding made to be part of new independent India” or neither anti- India movement, but a goal to choose their future on the basis of their historical and political right, as had been made abundantly clear to the British Simon Commission in 1929. This was contained in a representation submitted to Centre’s Interlocutor for Naga talks R.N. Ravi by WAPO president Lhuphrevilie Rino.
WAPO took the stand that presently, not a single Naga national political faction of Nagaland, represented the Nagas as a community and people. Therefore, any factional and piece meal settlement that is not broad based not inclusive of all Major Naga National Political Groups “is extremely dangerous and not acceptable to the Nagas in any way”.
In view of the above, WAPO informed Ravi that it was decided not to be a party to any such piecemeal settlement and declares that whosoever ventured to be part of such would be exclusively responsible “if any bloodshed takes place out of the consequences of such half-baked factional settlement.”
(EDITED BY : SHAILESH KUMAR)